TRAFFIC ALERT - Route 1 & Route 9 Overpass Project Will Require Closure of Route 9 & Kitts Hummock Road
The Department of Transportation (DelDOT) announces that access to and from Route 1 via Route 9 will be closed beginning Monday, September 14 and ending on Sunday, September 25. R. E. Pierson Construction Company will be connecting new interchange ramps with existing Route 9 and Kitts Hummock Road. Kitts Hummock Road will be tied into the relocated Route 9. Kitts Hummock Road will be closed beginning on Monday, September 28 and ending on Friday, October 2, weather permitting.
Route 9 Closure
* Route 9 will be closed from the intersection of Kitts Hummock Road to Bergold Lane.
* Traffic coming west on Route 9 will be detoured onto Bergold Lane. From Bergold Lane traffic will detour onto Kitts Hummock Road and then back onto Route 9 to access northbound and southbound Route 1.
* Traffic coming off of northbound Route 1 onto Route 9 will detour onto Kitts Hummock Road and then to Bergold Lane to access back to Route 9.
Kitts Hummock Road Closure
* Kitts Hummock Road will be closed from intersection of Route 9 to Bergold Lane.
* Traffic coming west on Route 9 will transition into the new proposed Route 9 Ramp and then onto the new Ramp F to access northbound Route 1.
* Traffic going north on Kitts Hummock Road will be detoured onto Bergold Lane and then onto Route 9. From Route 9 they will transition onto the new proposed Route 9 Ramp to access northbound Route 1.
* Traffic coming off of northbound Route1 will access onto the new Ramp G and then onto the proposed Route 9 to access existing Route 9.
* Once Route 9 is connected, traffic will have access to and from southbound Route 1 through the use of the new overpass and ramps on the south side of the intersection.
DURING THE CLOSURE, THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES WILL REMAIN OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: AIR MOBILITY COMMAND MUSEUM, JOHN DICKINSON MANSION, AND THE ST. JONES RESERVE.
For more information, please contact Greg Pawlowski, Area Engineer, at (302) 760-2256.
Up-to-date information on projects can be found at www.deldot.gov or listen to WTMC-1380 AM.