TRAFFIC ALERT - I-95 Fifth Lane Project Begins Sunday, June 3
Striping & Barrier Wall Placement Requires Nighttime Lane Closures with Reduced Speed Limits
The Department of Transportation (DelDOT) announces lane and ramp closures along I-95 beginning Sunday, June 3 and ending on Saturday, June 8. The lane and ramp closures will occur from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. During the day, there will be no lane or ramp restrictions on I-95. The contractor for these improvements is R. E. Pierson.
Lane & Ramp Closures for Striping
* Sunday, June 3 to Monday, June 4: Closure of two right lanes southbound from south of the Route 141 interchange to north of the Route 1 interchange from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. The Route 141 ramp to I-95 southbound will be closed. Traffic will be detoured down to Route 13 west, Route 273 east, to the I-95/ Route 273 interchange. The Churchman's Road exit from I-95 southbound will be closed and traffic will be detoured to the Route 7 interchange.
* Monday, June 4 to Tuesday, June 5: Closure of two right lanes from Route 1 interchange to I-95/I-495 split from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. The ramp from Route 7 westbound to I-95 northbound will be closed. Traffic will be detoured around the Route 7 ramps to I-95 northbound (i.e. to the Route 7 west / I-95 south ramp to the I-95 south/Route 7 east ramp to the Route 7 east / I-95 northbound ramp). The Airport Road exit ramp will be closed. Traffic will be detoured to the Route 141 interchange to Commons Boulevard.
Lane Closures for Barrier Wall Placement
Will Occur Between Route 141 to Churchman's Road Bridge from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
* Monday, June 4 to Tuesday, June 5: Closure of two left lanes southbound
* Tuesday, June 5 to Wednesday June 6: Closure of two left lanes south and northbound
* Wednesday, June 6 to Thursday, June 7: Closure of two left lanes south and northbound
* Thursday, June 7 to Friday, June 8: Closure of two left lanes south and northbound
* Friday, June 8 to Saturday, June 9: Closure of two left lanes south and northbound
In order to reduce traffic delays, striping will occur in 1/2 mile to one-mile sections at a time. The speed limit in the work zone area will be reduced to 45 mph. Delaware State police will be on site.
The striping and barrier wall placement is Phase One of the I-95 Fifth Lane Widening Project. The new median barrier will be a 42-inch high barricade from Churchman's Road bridge to the northbound/southbound split just before the Route 141 interchange.
The work is weather dependent and will be re-scheduled to another date, if necessary.
Motorists are advised to use slow down in work zones and use caution when traveling through this area.
For more information, visit DelDOT's Web site at www.i95.deldot.gov or tune to WTMC-AM 1380.