Ellendale Working Group - Visions, Goals and Objectives
The US 113 Working Group for the greater Ellendale Area envisions a future for the area where:
- The movement of people and goods in the study area is not hampered by traffic congestion as experienced today in parts of Sussex County.
- The character and quality of life in the greater Ellendale Area have been enhanced and the area continues to be a safe and attractive place for residents to live, work and play and for visitors to enjoy.
- Businesses and housing have been preserved and improved and community services enhanced.
- The historic, archaeological, agricultural and natural resources in the greater Ellendale Area have been protected while growth, both economic and residential, has been sustained.
We expect that realization of this vision for the future of the Ellendale Area will require efforts at two levels. The first is a comprehensive outreach effort with community, business and other stakeholder groups. The second is strengthened communication and coordination among municipal, county, state and federal Governments.
The end result will be an efficient transportation infrastructure for the greater Ellendale Area that meets the following goals:
- Supports responsible and sustainable land development and economic growth while accommodating the anticipated growth in local, seasonal and through traffic.
- Avoids negative impacts from transportation improvements to natural, cultural and historic resources.
- Respects private property rights of owners on US 113 and along any new alignment.
- Includes a limited access, through traffic route to points north and south of the study area.
- Allows for the separation of through (regional) and seasonal traffic from local traffic.
- Preserves and enhances capacity on existing US Route 113.
- Includes improved connections between east-west and north-south routes.
- Enhances the local road network and creates a comprehensive transportation system that accommodates the needs of all modes of transportation serving the residents of the greater Ellendale Area.
The working Group will pursue the following objectives in order to achieve the long term Vision and Goals. The Objectives will be used to evaluate, compare and refine the options considered by the Working Group.
- Separate local traffic from through and seasonal traffic
- Provide more travel options for residents
- Develop a broader range of transportation options (bus, bike and pedestrian ways)
- Improve the connections between east/west and north/south routes
- Preserve or increase, where possible, traffic capacity on existing US 113
- Reduce traffic congestion by providing additional capacity where needed
- Limit the negative impacts of traffic on neighborhoods
- Improve traffic ingress/egress for businesses
- Improve safety for residents-pedestrians, bicyclists, children, drivers and transit users in the greater Ellendale Area
- Separate through traffic from local traffic, where possible
- Improve accessibility for emergency services
- Enhance safe access to schools, parks and recreation sites, community facilities, businesses and institutions
Land Use Planning
- Accommodate planned growth and the resulting traffic
- Coordinate transportation improvements with approved land use patterns and utility systems
- Be consistent with Delaware's Strategies for State Policies and Spending, the Governor's Livable Delaware Initiative and Sussex County and Ellendale comprehensive plans
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of environmental resources and impacts on those resources
- Avoid adverse affects to farmland, historic, archaeological and natural resources
- Develop minimization and mitigation measures where avoidance is not feasible
- Improve the view to and from the road
- Maintain and enhance the character of the greater Ellendale Area
- Use context sensitive design and construction techniques
- Employ a full range of aesthetic options in addressing transportation needs and congestion in the greater Ellendale Area
- Increase the level of cooperation and coordination among Sussex County,
- Ellendale and other towns along the US 113 Corridor and DelDOT and other State agencies regarding the linkages between land use and transportation
- Comply with federal and state agency environmental and historic resource regulations and requirements
- Undertake comprehensive public outreach efforts including, public workshops; meetings with community, business and interest groups; newspaper articles; a project web site and other appropriate outreach techniques to obtain citizen input
- Consider citizen input, ideas, suggestions, concerns and solutions before developing options and recommending solution