Lightship Overfalls Lewes
Photo of the Lightship Overfalls in Lewes
Work to construct a permanent berth for the historic Lightship Overfalls. The ship (LV118/WAL539), built in 1938, has been on the Canal in downtown Lewes, Delaware since 1973. She is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The ship is now in Norfolk, VA., having a new hull installed. Once the work is complete, the plan is to have the ship return to Lewes. Prior to the ship leaving for VA., DelDOT's Transportation Enhancement (T.E.) program spent roughly $300,000 to assist with the interior renovation of the ship. All the work was done by local volunteer historians. The plan is to return the ship back to its original location in a new berth, adjacent to the Lewes Canal Front Park.
This project would go a long way assisting with the economic revitalization of the local area by bringing tourists to the attraction, including the Lewes Canal Front Park, for the long haul. Tourists that visit the site also spend money in the surrounding area. As volunteers did much of the previous work, this investment will also bring about a sense of community pride.
DelDOT is accepting public comments on this project through May 4, 2009, per Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) guidance.
May 28, 2010.
For more on the ship and the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation go to www.overfalls.org.