Date: July 26, 2007
Time: 8:00 AM
Location: Blue Ball Dairy Barn
Re: Construction Advisory Group
|Mrs. Margaret Bramble||Deerhurst|
|Mr. Donald Criscuolo||Alapocas II Maint. Org.|
|Mr. Ralph Bayrer||Carillon Crossing|
|Mr. Dan Bockover||CCOBH|
|Mr. Vernon Lawton||DelDOT|
|Mr. Nicholas Hetrick||DelDOT|
|Mr. Bob King||DelDOT|
|Mr. Mark Tudor||DelDOT|
Meeting was called to order at 8:05 a.m.
Mark reported to the group:
The miscellaneous signage and striping concerns from the last couple of meetings were discussed, and the recommendations from each of the issues are found below (in bold):
- Add right turn lane at Powder Mill Road Eastbound lanes at the intersection of Children's Drive. Done.
- Installing "No U-Turn" sign on US202 Southbound at Foulk Road underpass. All appropriate signage is installed. Most locations have signs that indicate "No-Turns."
- Better signage on Powder Mill Road Eastbound lanes ahead of the Childrens Drive Intersection, to indicate Childrens Drive and Powder Mill Road, and TO Rockland Road. Initial recommendation from DelDOT was that signage was adequate, but group felt that the first sign on SR141 (outside of project limits), needed to be changed to be more reflective of the "TO Rockland Road" condition. Sign has been moved further up SR141, to provide warning before the curve. More investigation is needed to figure out what to do with existing sign.
- Striping on Eastbound Powder Mill Road thru the US202 intersection to help guide drivers in the lane shift traveling to Murphy Road. Done.
- Looking at whether it is possible to swap the order of the SR141 and Foulk Road signage on the overhead signs along Southbound US202 (will at a minimum be very expensive). It was determined that the signs' panels can be swapped without making new signs, which will be much less expensive than originally thought. It is anticipated that the signs will be changed within the next couple of months.
- Install a speed limit sign on Murphy Road heading eastbound, just east of the US202 Intersection. Still to be installed.
- Install a "Signal Ahead" sign on SR141 Spur heading towards US202, just west of West Park Drive. A sign has already been installed, but DelDOT is looking at other ways to increase the visibility of the signal heads.
- Reinstallation of Alapocas community sign that was damaged by contractor. Issue has been resolved. The contractor supplied Mr. Bayard (at his request) a painted 12' x 6"x 6" pressure treated post to replace the one that they had damaged. Mr. Bayard will take responsibility of re-installing the sign to the post and installing the post. The contractor will be more then willing to help reinstall the post if needed.
- US202/Murphy Road Intersection - Signal timings not finalized, and loop detectors not activated yet. Group indicated that signal timings have improved, but the signal phasing still has not been changed to the final configuration. Situation will continue to be monitored.
- Light Poles along US202 NB in front of Independence Mall - DelDOT has reviewed the issue and is looking to replace the one pole near the entrance. Installation will be challenging because of existing underground utilities. Still in process.
- Sign at intersection of Powder Mill Road and Childrens Drive is turned the wrong way - Could not find problem. Requires more clarification.
- There is no Nemours Sign at Childrens Drive - Signage to individual commercial properties is discouraged in the r/w because of fairness to all commercial properties. It was thought that all "H" signs indicate AI and not Nemours, but Ms. Bramble will look at other locations. No further action is recommended at this time.
- A pedestrian warning sign and yield sign along southbound West Drive heading towards the roundabout are too close together. Signage yet to be changed.
- Delineator signs still need to be installed in "choker islands" along Augustine Cutoff and West Park Drive-Delineator signs will be installed once the choker islands are complete. Still to happen.
Discussion also occurred on Don Criscuolo's July 22nd e-mail to the Construction Working Group
- People driving too fast on SR141 Spur Road - It was concluded that more targeted police enforcement is needed.
- Installing "No Right Turn on Red" signs at both West Park Drive/SR141 Spur Intersection, and Weldin Road/Foulk Road Intersection. DelDOT will investigate.
- Problem of "rolling stops" of Rockland Road traffic at West Park Drive. DelDOT will investigate what criteria are used to determine when a larger stop sign is recommended. But also police enforcement may be recommended.
- Problem of people entering trail system through Alapocas II. Concern has been forwarded to DNREC for thoughts. Will report at next meeting.
Dominick D'Eramo's July 23rd e-mail was also discussed, on the concern about right turn traffic from Augustine Cutoff to Edgewood Road. It was noted that the existing striped shoulder/turn lane and location of the thru lane is still temporary during construction, and in the final striped configuration the turn lane will be wider and the thru lane will be pushed out a little more towards the center.
Landscape maintenance was also discussed. It was noted that DelDOT and DNREC are continuing to work with the Delaware Center for Horticulture (DCH) and the University of Delaware on appropriate maintenance approaches for the installed landscaping. It is anticipated that more information will be provided to the public on these approaches in the coming months.
Existing pavement concerns along Foulk Road and the ramp from US202 SB to I-95 Southbound were brought up. All corrective action work items along Foulk Road within the Blue Ball limits of work were addressed by the contractor at no cost to the State. Rehabilitation of Foulk Road north of the Blue Ball limits of work will be performed under a future Pave & Rehab Project. The ramp pavement will be looked at as a potential add-on to Contract 24-106-05.
23-106-07: 3 East
- Pedestrian Bridge has been installed along greenway path, final paving of path (from the bridge to Weldin Road) is all that is left to complete.
24-106-05: 3 West
- New tentative project completion date is September 13, 2007 after a 36 day time extension was granted for excess rock excavation in the storm water management pond and for the project shutdown required when President Bush passed through the project. Project completion date is not final and could change, pending the development of any other time issues. Date may push to mid-October.
- The Augustine Cutoff detour is currently under way. The detour went into effect June 2, 2007 and the tentative opening is scheduled for September 13, 2007. (If future time extensions are granted, the opening date will be shifted to September 15, 2007 - 105 days after the closure, per contract spec). Most of the work along Augustine Cutoff and West Park Drive has been completed, but the US202 work still need to be completed before the intersection can be reopened.
- Work on southbound US 202 is ongoing, with fine grading, curb and hotmix remaining
- Work on northbound US 202 is ongoing, with fine grading, curb and hotmix remaining
- Traffic on the ramps to NB 202 from I-95 has shifted to the newly widened portion and work is currently under way for the widening to the right of the ramp.
- Work still remaining includes construction of the medians along mainline US 202 and the overlay/final lift of hotmix project wide.
Bruce reported to the group:
24-106-06: Contract #4
- Project is essentially complete. Only punchlist items remain.
Being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 10:00 am with the next meeting scheduled for Thursday, August 30, 2007 at the Blue Ball Dairy Barn.