Welcome to the Inaugural 2018 Delaware Bridge Design Competition.
This event is a hands-on engineering competition aimed to engage students interested in the math, science, and engineering fields. The program is designed to encourage middle school and high school students to address real-world problems and inspire them to consider careers in transportation and civil engineering. Students will use Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and 3-D modeling software to design and detail plans for a truss bridge. Students will use their design to create a balsa wood model. Participants will develop a portfolio and PowerPoint presentation outlining their design. Their bridge models will also be tested on the day of the competition. The Delaware Bridge Design Competition and all associated software and materials are FREE to all participating students. For more information, see the Delaware Bridge Design Competition Guidelines below.
For more information about TRAC visit their website .
Note: There are differences in the guidelines and due dates for the Delaware and National competitions. Please read the guidelines carefully.
- Delaware Bridge Design Competition Guidelines
- Delaware Bridge Design Competition Application
- January 12, 2018 – Bridge Design Competition applications must be submitted
- February 16, 2018 – Bridge Kits will be shipped to teams by the TRAC office
- April 20, 2018 (No later than 5 PM) – Proposals due
- April 26, 2018 – Competition to be held at the 2018 Delaware Technology Student Association (TSA) State Conference at the State Fairground in Harrington, Delaware
- Supplies - Provided in Kits
- Balsa Wood
- Long Pins
- Drafting Paper
- U-Bolt Bracket
- Wax Paper
- Model Smart 3D Software
- Wood Glue
- Painter's Bucket
- Measuring Cup
- Safety Cutters
- Safety Manual
- BB CD
- Teacher's Guide CD
- MicroStation V8i Software
- First Place - $900 Per Team
- Second Place - $750 Per Team
- Third Place - $600 Per Team
All juniors and seniors in high school who are interested in a career in Civil Engineering are encouraged to consider applying for internship opportunities with The Delaware Department of Transportation for the Summer of 2019. All summer internships for the Summer of 2018 are currently filled. However, consideration for internships in the Summer of 2019 will begin in November 2018 and will extend until April 2019. Please contact Craig Stevens for more information.
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Download Bentley Powerdraft
- Bentley PowerDraft v8i Tutorials (Courtesy of the Michigan Department of Transportation)
- 3-D Model Smart
- Learn more about 3-D Model Smart
- Licenses provided by DelDOT at no cost to the schools
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Learn more about the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- West Point Bridge Designer
- The due date for proposals has been extended to April 20th at 5 PM. Proposals submitted after this deadline will not be evaluated.
- Please ensure that all bridges meet the specifications outlined in the competition guidelines. If a bridge does not meet these specifications, it cannot be tested.
The Delaware Department of Transportation sincerely thanks The Delaware Contractors' Association, The American Society of Civil Engineers - Delaware Section, and The American Society of Highway Engineers - First State Section for their generous support of future engineers throughout the state of Delaware. These donations have helped to make the 2018 Delaware Bridge Design Competition a reality.