Welcome to the 2nd Annual 2019 Delaware Bridge Design Competition.
This event is a hands-on engineering competition aimed to engage students interested in the math, science, and engineering fields. The program is designed to encourage middle school and high school students to address real-world problems and inspire them to consider careers in transportation and civil engineering. Students will use Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and 3-D modeling software to design and detail plans for a truss bridge. Students will use their design to create a balsa wood model. Participants will develop a portfolio and PowerPoint presentation outlining their design. Their bridge models will also be tested on the day of the competition. The Delaware Bridge Design Competition and all associated software and materials are FREE to all participating students. For more information, see the Delaware Bridge Design Competition Guidelines below.
Note: There are differences in the guidelines and due dates for the Delaware and National competitions. Please read the guidelines carefully.
- Delaware Bridge Design Competition Application
- School Participation Agreement
- December 7, 2018 – Bridge Design Competition applications must be submitted
- January 4th, 2019 – Bridge Kits will be shipped to teams
- March 28, 2019 (no later than 2 PM) – Proposals due
- April 11, 2019 – Competition location to be announced.
- Supplies Provided
- Balsa Wood
- Wood Glue
- Model Smart 3D Software
- Teacher's Guide CD
- MicroStation V8i Software
- *See Guidelines for Items Specific to Your Design/Build Challenge*
- Top 3 finishers in each grade-level will win cash prizes
All juniors and seniors in high school who are interested in a career in Civil Engineering are encouraged to consider applying for internship opportunities with The Delaware Department of Transportation for the Summer of 2020. All summer internships for the Summer of 2019 are currently filled. However, consideration for internships in the Summer of 2020 will begin in November 2019 and will extend until April 2020. Please contact Craig Stevens for more information.
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Download Bentley Powerdraft
- Bentley PowerDraft v8i Tutorials (Courtesy of the Michigan Department of Transportation)
- 3-D Model Smart
- Learn more about 3-D Model Smart
- Licenses provided by DelDOT at no cost to the schools
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Learn more about the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- West Point Bridge Designer
- Example Proposal (courtesy of AASHTO)
- This proposal includes the MINIMUM requirements necessary for the competition. It is intended only to help students prepare their proposals. All work submitted in the competition must be the student's and team's own work.
- Example PowerPoint
- Example Presentations (coming soon)
- There is currently no news for the 2019 Competition. Please check back later!