Safety & Education » Safety Checklist
Bicycle Safety Checklist
Size - Fit of bicycle to bicycle driver
- Can bicycle driver straddle frame with both feet on the ground?
- Check height of seat post (provide minimum clearance in frame as recommended by manufacturer).
- Tight and in line with wheel height below driver's shoulder level?
- Check height of stem (provide minimum clearance in frame as recommended by manufacturer).
- Grips tight and ends in good condition?
- All tubes in line, not bent?
- Front fork straight, in good condition?
- Tight, intact, no binding?
- Both run true side to side and round?
- Spokes - good tension, none missing?
- Rims - no dents, free of rust: if caliper brakes, the side clean and fee of lubricants?
- Tires - properly inflated, good tread, no sidewall damage, straight valve stem?
Bearing - No looseness or binding?
- Front wheel
- Front fork
- Rear wheel
- Pedal crank
- 1/2" play, no excessive looseness with deraileurs per manufacturer recommendation?
- Chain Guard - unbent, free of chain?
- Clean and free of rust?
- Coaster brakes - operate with 20 degrees travel before brake is engaged; brake arm strap fully tightened?
- Hand brakes - sufficient reserve when lever is engaged, and brake lever tight?
- Caliper brakes centered and tight?
- Nuts tight on brake shoes?
- Proper clearance of 1/16" of shoe from rim?
- At least 3/16" rubber on brake pad?
- Cable taut, no frayed ends?
Other safety equipment
- Sift control operating properly?
- Multi-speed mechanism operating properly; hub and deraileur is functional in all gears?
- Red rear reflector - conforms to local laws?
- Reflectors visible from both sides when riding at night?
- Front light - battery or generator and bulb satisfactory?
- Bell or horn - working and audible