Office of the Secretary
To represent the Governor in issues involving DOT and to provide
leadership as the department strives to be a transparent, efficient and
accountable institution in which safety, performance management and
customer satisfaction are of highest priority.
- Provide leadership and direction to the department in support of
the statewide Long-Range Transportation plan.
- Enhance working relationships between the department and various
external groups including but not limited to other state agencies,
the legislature, municipal governments and civic associations.
- Assist the department in the protection of public assets and
recovery of damages to those assets as allowed by law.
- Develop and maintain a Continuity of Operations Plan to ensure
core business functions are performed during major disruptions of
normal business activities.
Delaware Transit Corporation
The mission of the Delaware Transit Corporation (DTC)
is to design and provide the highest quality public transportation services that satisfy the needs of the customer and the community.
- Improve efficiency of the Paratransit and fixed route services. Maximize statewide ridership by implementing an equitable fare structure for bus and train service.
- Define and develop bus and train service that meets community needs in an environmentally friendly way.
- Improve transit service operations efficiency through use of Automated Vehicle Locator (AVL) System.
- Maintain on-time performance rate for fixed route and paratransit services.
To provide our external and internal stakeholders with excellent and
expedient customer service; to collect all revenue and pay all vendors
in a timely manner; and to manage and maintain financial records in
conformity with generally accepted accounting principles and in
compliance with state and federal laws.
- Serve as steward of the department's financial functions,
financial statement preparations and federal, state and department
independent audit processes.
- Develop and manage the operating and capital budgets, including
federal transportation appropriations and grants that support goals
and other key departmental objectives.
- Process payables and receivables through a variety of sources in
a timely manner and maximizing the use of the statewide procurement
card and automated clearinghouse transactions.
The mission of Human Resources is to foster a culture that strives for
excellence in transportation by recruiting and hiring a diverse and
highly-qualified workforce through various outreach efforts; developing
and retaining employees through continuous communication and training
which provides career enhancement and advancement; and ensuring equity
and fairness in all employment practices.
- Provide outreach at universities, schools and job fairs to
encourage awareness of career opportunities at DOT.
- Foster a workplace environment that embraces diversity and
encourages respectful treatment of all individuals.
- Communicate regularly with employees about benefits information.
- Provide key training that is relevant based on current
operational needs and provides a foundation for both career
enhancement and advancement within State government.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance for discipline and
- Complete a Performance Review for each employee at the end of
the probationary period and/or during the calendar year.
- Develop and maintain a COOP to ensure that core business
functions continue to be performed after major disruptions of normal
Maintenance & Operations
The mission of Maintenance & Operations is to provide excellence in
transportation by keeping the state's road transportation network in a
state of good repair through the careful and consistent application of
personnel, equipment and financial resources.
- Perform emergency response to weather events, including winter
snow removal and seasonal responses to conditions.
- Manage the Community Transportation Fund (CTF), ensuring
requests are estimated, responded to and funded in an appropriate
- Manage our equipment fleet maintenance to have our assets
functional and available as needed to support our highway system
The mission of the Division of Motor Vehicles
is to provide excellence
in transportation by providing courteous and efficient service to the
public while protecting Delaware residents by establishing the validity
of licensed drivers and ensuring safe and non-polluting vehicles are
operated on Delaware roadways. Also, by providing a safe, efficient and
environmentally-sensitive Toll network that offers a variety of
convenient, cost-effective options for processing all vehicular
- Issue secure and accurate driver license and identification
cards while ensuring those individuals obtaining Delaware
credentials are representing their identity accurately, are in the
country legally, meet all the requirements for obtaining driving
privileges and have demonstrated their Delaware residency.
- Handle vehicle registrations, problem drivers, and commercial
drivers, and maximize the collection of motor fuel taxes, toll
receipts and other revenues in accordance with applicable state and
- Maintain an investigative unit to manage licensed vehicle dealer
activities, deter fraud, identify theft, and monitor internal
activities ensuring system security and customer confidence.
- Ensure the division has an effective employee development and
succession planning process in place by continuing to offer the
award-winning Management in Training program to employees.
- Provide outreach programs and services to enhance the overall
quality of service to members of specific populations, such as teen
drivers, senior drivers and Hispanic communities.
- Ensure continuous operation of the State's toll roads.
- Continue management oversight of the lease agreement to operate
and maintain the Delaware Welcome Center and Service Plaza on I-95.
- Continuously review all motor vehicle lane facilities and toll
plazas, to insure maintenance needs are met and improvements are
made as needed.
The mission of the Planning Division is to provide excellence in
transportation through an inclusive and comprehensive transportation
planning and permitting process that seeks solutions to the state's
transportation needs by balancing safety, choice, environmental
stewardship, economic development, financial accountability, and quality
- Work with internal and external customers to create plans that
result in a comprehensive system of transportation options in
coordination with state policies and local government comprehensive
- Provide transportation information and advice to local
governments with land use decision-making responsibilities to help
coordinate zoning, subdivision and annexation decisions among state
agencies, counties and municipalities.
- Support the State's efforts to discover and solve transportation
problems by collecting, analyzing, summarizing and publishing
transportation-related data in both tabular and graphic form that is
also geographically enabled, including customer service and
The mission of the Public Relations Division is to provide excellence
in transportation through public outreach activities that result in an
open, meaningful and informative dialogue between the agency, its
employees and residents with the goal of achieving customer satisfaction
among those who pay for and use the State's transportation system.
- Produce and support safety information campaigns that minimize
the number of fatalities and injuries on our system.
- Conduct Public Relations activities that support the
construction and maintenance of a nationally recognized system
benefiting travelers and commerce.
- Provide information to every traveler about the access and
choices available from our transportation system.
- Provide every customer with the best service possible.
- Explain how we minimize the environmental impact of the State's
- Support financial sustainability by providing department
accuracy and transparency.
- Develop and maintain a department where talented, motivated
employees love to work and can be national leaders in
Technology & Support Services
The mission of Technology and Support Services is to provide excellence
in transportation by facilitating the timely and accurate support of all
Divisions of the Department in the performance of day-to-day operations.
- Support the Governor's initiative for economic development as it
relates to the growth of small and minority businesses.
- Explore opportunities to implement e-government initiatives to
improve service for the business community and the public.
- Ensure the support needs of the department are met in the areas
of facilities management, contract administration and auditing.
- Ensure departmental compliance with the Federal Highway
Administration (FHWA) Civil Rights requirements and programs.
- Develop and implement the technology required to support the
department's ongoing business goals.
- Provide a secure, reliable and fully-integrated
telecommunications network in support of the department's vision of
The mission of the Division of Transportation Solutions is to provide
excellence in transportation by developing, constructing and maintaining
the State's infrastructure in a manner that results in a safe,
cost-effective, and efficient multi-modal transportation network that
enhances mobility commerce, and livability. In addition, Transportation
Solutions provides high quality support services to other divisions in
- Consistently deliver high-quality projects from concept through
construction and ensure projects are completed as scheduled in the
Capital Transportation program.
- Acquire property interests needed for protecting and improving
the State's transportation system.
- Maximize operational efficiency of the transportation
infrastructure by effectively using technology, such as video
cameras and signal system coordination.
- Continue to design and manage the rehabilitation and replacement
of all bridges determined to be structurally deficient according to
federal rating criteria.
- Continue to manage the preservation and rehabilitation of all
state maintained roadways by maintaining a pavement system rating of
a least 85 percent fair or better.
- Comply with all ADA standards relating to curb ramps.
- Maintain high quality materials, traffic control devices,
signage, pavement markings and surfaces of quality for the traveling